Human resources is undoubtedly the nervous system of any organization – an indispensable unit that ensures its proper functioning. Humans are an organization’s greatest asset, and therefore, proper management of this resource is of utmost importance to ensure that the institution performs to the best of its capabilities.
On HR Day, a day to recognize, acknowledge, and celebrate the role of Human Resources in every institution, it is crucial to understand its role and importance as a functional unit of establishments.
But before we delve into each of these crucial functions of HR in detail…
What is Human Resources (HR)?
Human resources can refer either to people as the greatest resource organizations have access to or the unit at an establishment that juggles a wide and varied range of responsibilities, starting from talent acquisition to talent nurturing, retention, career progression, separation management, and conflict resolution – all crucial for the smooth functioning of the company.
Why is Human Resource Important?
As the nervous system of an organization, HR carries out the following functions on which the existence of the organization hinges:
Talent Acquisition: Building an A-Team
One of the most important roles of the HR team at any organization is overseeing the recruitment operations.
- Sourcing and attracting top talent using recruitment strategies.
- Evaluating candidate qualifications, skills, and potential.
- Ensuring a smooth hiring process to hire the best talent.
Talent Nurturing: Tapping into the Potential of Employees
Identifying and tapping into candidate and employee potential is one of the most crucial responsibilities of an HR professional.
- Implementing a smooth onboarding process for new employees.
- Designing and organizing training programs and knowledge transfer sessions for new and existing employees.
- Promoting an environment that encourages continuous learning, development, and growth.
Talent Retention: Fostering Employee Engagement
Talent retention is one of the greatest challenges organizations face. According to a recent study, 63.3% of HR professionals expressed that it is harder to retain employees than to hire them. Therefore, having a dedicated HR team focused on employee retention enables organizations to keep employees engaged and manage to retain them. This is achieved through:
- Recognizing achievements to motivate employees.
- Promoting a work environment that prioritizes employee well-being.
- Formulating and implementing effective retention strategies to reduce turnover.
Career Progression: Setting Up Employees for Long-Term Success
Another essential aspect of an HR professional’s long list of responsibilities is facilitating career progression for existing employees, which also positively impacts the talent retention rates of the company. HR teams must ensure that their employees are constantly evolving and growing alongside the company, staying up to date with the latest trends in their fields and building expertise. This is done through:
- Presenting opportunities for growth and development.
- Designing a clear career path for the employee.
- Assisting employees in achieving all their professional aspirations.
Separation Management: Steering Smooth Transitions
Managing an employee’s exit from an organization is no easy task. It is something that has to be dealt with in a sensitive and graceful manner, as the matter is delicate in certain instances. HR professionals are trained to ensure that this exit process is smooth and hiccup-free, making sure that all parties involved are satisfied by the end of it. In this endeavor, HR teams:
- Conduct exit interviews to address any remaining concerns, identify potential issues, and gain insights.
- Guarantee a smooth off-boarding process and carry out knowledge transfer sessions.
- Nurture positive and healthy relationships with ex-employees to encourage potential future collaborations.
Conflict Resolution: Ensuring a Healthy and Positive Workplace Environment
Conflicts are inevitable in any setting that involves people. This is where HR professionals step in as trained mediators with significant knowledge in conflict resolution strategies. Workplace conflicts are effectively managed by HR professionals through:
- Encouraging and facilitating effective communication.
- Mediating and moderating conflicts.
- Strengthening collaboration and team spirit among employees.
- Nurturing diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Recommended ArticleBeat the Clock: Top 10 Time-Saving Recruitment Tips for Recruiters in 2023
To put briefly:
HR management is among the most important aspects of any organization’s functioning, as people are its greatest resource. For every organization to perform well, these resources have to function to the best of their abilities. Therefore, effective management to derive their full potential is of paramount importance. With a wide range of roles and responsibilities ranging from talent acquisition to conflict resolution, HR management serves as the force that ensures human potential is congruent with the organization’s expectations. Hence, HR is an integral aspect of every organization’s successful functioning, and investing in its development is essential for organizations to reach their highest potential.
Curious about what HR professionals think about their profession? Here are insights into the world of HR from Zappyhire’s incredible HR team:
- Rechith Jyothish (Senior Manager, Talent)
Let’s hear it from our accomplished Senior Talent Manager, Rechith Jyothish, about what he finds the most fulfilling about being an HR professional. His thoughts offer a profound understanding of the field of HR and life as an HR professional.
- Sruthi Nair (Associate, Talent)
Up next, our exceptional Talent Associate, Sruthi Nair, shares what she likes the most about her role as an HR professional. She also discusses what HR day means to her & provides us with valuable insights on the joys of working in HR.
- Aarya Ranjith (Associate, Talent)
Here’s another perspective on being an HR professional from our dynamic Talent Associate, Aarya Ranjith, who finds great fulfillment in the opportunity to make a positive impact on employees’ lives. Let’s hear what Aarya has to say about International HR Day.
Zappyhire’s dedicated and talented Talent team forms the very backbone of our organization. On this HR day we celebrate and recognize their dedication and hard work towards ensuring our organization reaches its highest potential.